Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Alfredo Villalba

. .
My mom has this beautiful photo of her grandfather, Alfredo Villalba, that I've scanned for you above. It is one of the few photographs that I have of the Villabla side of the family.
.
Family lore has it that Alfredo was a conductor/composer for a Zarzuela Troop, and his wife, Juana Segura de Villalba was a singer/dancer. The Zarzuela Troop was on tour of Latin America from Spain, and while they were in El Salvador, Alfredo passed away. His wife stayed behind to bury her husband and thus ended her career, staying in El Salvador. Besides this story, I have really no other information on Alfredo.
.
For those of you who are not familiar with Zarzuela (I wasn't!), it is a form of comic opera popular in Spain and Latin America. Think Gilbert & Sullivan with a Spanish flair.

No comments: